Sunday, May 10, 2009

New Camera

After months of patiently scouring ebay, I finally found what I had been seeking: a shiny new (read: 55 years old) Voigtlander Perkeo II. BEHOLD!



The Perkeo is one of the smallest and most well-built medium format folding cameras sold around the middle of last century.

I purchased the camera from Jurgen Kreckel, the guru on medium format folder restoration (who knew such a niche hobby existed?).

People keep asking me why I would want something that has NONE of the niceties of today's DSLR cameras. You don't need to worry about me abandoning digital photography, I just want to dabble in the range of possibilities still offered in the analog realm; to remember what it's like for photography to take time. Also, since I'll probably be picking up a Holga soon, the film will be interchangeable. If I dig the camera, I've already planned out future cameras that would complement the collection.

Also also...this fits into my recent obsession with all things mid 50s through early 60s: 2d art, 3d art, architecture, typography, movies, historical fiction TV programs.

No comments: